THE RACE COURSES LICENSING ACT, 1912(Sind Act III of 1912)CONTENTSSections
Grant of license for horse-racing.Cancellation of license.
THE RACE-COURSES LICENSING ACT, 1912
(Sind Act III of 1912)[6th June, 1912]An Act to pro vide for the licensing of race-courses in 2[the Provinceof West Pakistan].WHERE AS it is expedient to make provision for the regulation of horse-racing in the 2[Province of West Pakistan];It is hereby enacted as follows:-
1. (1) This Act may be Called the 3[* *: * *] Race-Courses Licensing Act, 1912.
(2) This section extends to the whole of the 2[Province of West Pakistan except the Tribal Areas]. The rest of the Act extends only to such areas as the 4[Provincial Government] may by notification in the 3[Official Gazette] direct.
2. In this Act—
(a) “horse-race” means any race in which any horse, mare or gelding runs or is made to run in competition with any other horse, mare or gelding for any prize of what nature or kind soever 6[ ] and at which more than twenty persons shall be present;(b) "race—course" means any ground on which a horserace can be held.
3. (1) No horse-race shall be held save on a race-course for f which a license for horse racing granted in accordance with the provisions, of this Act is in force.
(2) The terms of such license shall be published in the 5[Official Gazette].
1. For Statement of Objects and Reason, see Bombay Government Gazette, 1912, Pt. VII, p, 131, for Report of Select Committee, see ibid, 1912, Pt. VII, p. 132; and for Proceedings in Council, see ibid. 1912, Pt. VII, PP. 221 and 471.
2. Subs, first by the Sindh Laws (Adaptation, Revision, Repeal and Declaration) Ordinance1955 (Sindh Act, V of 1955), s. 3 (ii) (a), (with effect from 30th May, 1951), for "Bombay Presidency'' and, then, by W. P. Ord. XII of 1969, for "Sindh".3. The word, "Sindh "was substituted by Sind Ord. V of 1955, s. 3 (i) with effect from 30th May, 1951) for "Bombay" and omitted by W.P. ord. XII of 1959. 4. Subs, by A.O., 1937, for "Governor in Council". 5. Subs, ibid for "Bombay Government Gazette". 6. These words omitted by N. W. F. P. Ord. No. III of 1985.
[1912 : Sindh Act III Race-course Licensing
4. (1) The owner, lessee or occupier of any race-course ma) apply, to the 1[Provincial Government] for a license for horse-racing on such race-course.
Application for license for horseracing.
(2) The 1[Provincial Government] may withhold such license or rant it subject to such conditions and for such period as 2[it way think fit.
Grant of license for horse-racings
3[“Provided that one of such conditions shall be that no betting or wagering shall be allowed on horse racing”].
4[(3) The 1[Provincial Government] may by such license authorize the licensee to grant, subject to such conditions as shall be specified by the 1[Provincial Government] in such license, a licence or permit to any bookmaker for such period not exceeding the period of the licence granted to the licensee as the licensee may think fit and]
5[(4)] The 1[Provincial Government] may at any time cancel any license granted under this section in the event of any breach of the conditions subject to which it was granted.
Conciliation of license.
5. Whoever takes part in any horse-race on any race-course for which a license granted in accordance with the provisions of section 4 is not in force shall be punishable with fine which may amount to two hundred rupees.
Penalty for taking part in horserace on unlicensed race-course.
6. If any horse-race is held on any race-course for which a license granted in accordance with the provisions of section 4 is not in force, any person being the owner, lessee or occupier of such race-course shall be punishable with fine which may amount to one thousand rupees.
Penalty for owner, etc., allowing racing in unlicensed place.
6[7. (1) ] If any person to whom a license has been granted in accordance with the provisions of section 4 contravenes any of the conditions subject to which such license was granted, such person shall be punishable with fine which may amount to one thousand rupees.
Penalty for contravening condition of license.
1. Subs, by A.O., 1937, for "Governor in Council."
2. Subs, ibid, for “he”. 3. Proviso ins. by N. W. F. P. Ord. No. III of 1985. 4. Ins, by Sindh Act, IV of 1931, s, 9 (a) (i). 5. Sub-section (3) renumbered as sub-section (4), ibid, s 9. (a) (ii). 6 S. 7. renumbered as 7 (1). Ibid, s, 9 (b).
Race-course Licensing 1912 :Sindh Act III
1[(2) If any person to whom a license or permit has been granted by a licensee in pursuance of the provisions of sub-section (3) of section 4 contravenes any of the conditions subject to which such licence or permit was granted he shall be punishable with fine which may extend to one thousand rupees.]
8. No Court inferior to that of 2[ * * * * * ] a Magistrate of the First Class shall try an offence under this Act.
9. The 3[Provincial Government] may from time to time by general or particular order published in the 4[Offcial Gazette] exempt any horse-race from the operation of this Act.
1. Sub-section (2) ins. Sindh Act No. IV of 1931.
2. The words” a Presidency Magistrate or of” rep. by the Sindh Laws (Adaptation, Revision, Repeal and Declaration) Ordinance, 1955 (Sindh V of 1955), s. 6, Sch. II. 3. Subs, by A.O., 1937, for "Governor in Council". 4. Subs, ibid, for "Bombay Government Gazette".