THE WEST PAKISTAN PUBLICATION OF BOOKS (REGULATION AND CONTROL) ORDINANCE,1969. (W. P. Ord. XV of 1969). CONTENTS
8. Forfeiture of the book of work. 9. Cognizance and trial of offences. 10. Bar to jurisdiction of Civil Courts. 11. Power to make rules.
THE WEST PAKISTAN PUBLICATION of Books (REGULATION AND CONTROL) ORDINANCE, 1969. WEST PAKISTAN ORDINANCE NO.XV OF 1969. [30th JULY, 1969] AN ORDINANCE to provide for the regulation and control of printing and publication of books or work first published in a foreign country
NOW, THEREFORE, in pursuance of the Martial Law proclamation of 25th March, 1969, read with the Provisional Constitution Order, the Administrator of Martial Law Zone 'A', in exercise of the powers of the Governor of West Pakistan conferred on him by the Chief Martial Law Administrator, is pleased to make and promulgate the following Ordinance :-
Short title, extent and commencement
(2) It shall extend to the whole of 1[Pakistan] (3) It shall come in to force at once.
1. In section 1, in sub-section (2). the words "the Province of West Pakistan, except the Tribal Areas", the words "Pakistan", subs, by P, O, 4 of 1975, 2. In section 2 in clause (b) subs, for "Govt. of West Pakistan" by ibid,
(d) "prescribed" means prescribed by rules made under this Ordinance; and (e) "work" means a literary work.
Restriction on publication of certain books or works
Application for permission
4. (1) An application for permission to print or publish a book or work shall be made in such manner and form and on payment of such fee as may be prescribed.
(2) Government or the officer specially under section 3 shall refuse permission to print or publish a book or work if the book or work is prejudicial to the national interest or culture.
5. (1) Any person aggrieved by an order made under subsection (2) of section 4, may, within thirty days from the date of such order.
(a) prefer an appeal to Government, if such order is passed by an officer specially empowered under section 3 ; or (b) apply for a review to Government, if such order is passed by Government. (2) Any order passed in appeal or review under sub-section (1) shall be final and shall not be called in question in any Court.
6. Government may, by notification in the official Gazette, exempt any book or work from the provisions of this Ordinance
7. Any person contravening any provision of this Ordinance shall be punishable with imprisonment which may extend to two year or with fine which may extend to one thousand rupees, or with both.
Forfeiture of the book or work.
8. Where a person is convicted of an offence under this Ordinance, all copies of the book or work, in respect, of which the offence has been committed, wherever found shall stand forfeited to
Government and any Police Officer may seize the same wherever found in the 1[province.]
Cognizance and trial of offences.
(2) No Court inferior to that of a Magistrate of the first class shall try any offence under this Ordinance. (3) An offence under this Ordinance shall be cognizable and non-bailable.
Bar to jurisdiction of Civil Courts
11. Government may, by notification in the official Gazette make rules for carrying out the purposes of this Ordinance.
Power to make rules
1. Subs by P. O. 4 of 1975-